The State Veterans Cemeteries in Wisconsin strive to meet the highest standards. The National Cemetery Administration's National Shrine standards are used as the guidelines for achieving these high standards. Listed below are the Floral and Grounds regulations for Wisconsin's State Veterans Cemeteries.
Effective February 2016, the placement of Floral Tributes on graves other than day of
Interment is subject to the following conditions:
Floral and Grounds Regulations
FRESH FLORAL TRIBUTES
- Fresh Floral Tributes may be placed at gravesite throughout the year.
- Water and Flower vases are available at various locations on the cemetery grounds from approximately April through October.
ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS & HOLIDAY WREATHS
- Artificial Flowers may be placed on gravesites beginning November 10th through January 31st.
- Holiday Wreaths may be placed beginning December 10th through January 31st.
- Wreaths should be placed on top of flush markers or leaned against upright markers.
- Wreath stands are no longer permitted.
- Grave Blankets are not permitted.
- All plantings, to include permanent or seasonal flowers, shrubs, etc. are prohibited.
SPECIAL OCCASIONS – POTTED PLANTS
- Potted Plants, while not suggested, will be permitted on the gravesite for a period of 7 days before through 7 days after Mother’s Day, Memorial Day and Father’s Day. Potted plants will not be permitted at any other time.
- Florists and families placing arrangements on gravesites must take away all boxes, wrapping paper or other packaging material.
- Unauthorized decorations not permitted on cemetery grounds or gravesites include; statues, vigil lights,
commemorative items, banners, Shepherd Hooks, Flag Standards or any breakable containers that are considered hazardous to personnel or equipment.
- Flags placed on veteran gravesites for Memorial Day will be placed by designated personnel the day prior to Memorial Day and removed 10 days thereafter.
- All pets must be leashed or they must remain in your vehicle.
- Be respectful and considerate of the cemetery grounds, visitors and cemetery personnel.
- Securing floral items or any other decorations using wire, tape or adhesives to headstones, markers or columbarium niche markers is prohibited. Items secured to any cemetery headstone will be removed by cemetery personnel.
- Grave decorations are not to exceed the height of the headstones.
- All personal vehicles must remain on the cemetery’s paved roads at all times.
- All Floral Tributes – natural or artificial will be removed by cemetery personnel when they become unsightly, wilted or placed outside the allowable timeframes.
- Prohibited Items removed from graves will be placed in an inconspicuous holding area for two weeks prior to disposal. Decorative items removed from graves remain the property of the donor but are under the custodianship of the cemetery. The items will be disposed if not retrieved within the two-week time frame.
The Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs reserves the right to remove and dispose of any adornments not in compliance with our floral regulations. All adornments that are considered offensive, inconsistent with the dignity of the cemetery or hazardous to visitors or cemetery personnel shall be removed and disposed of by cemetery personnel. Adornments that are commercial in nature(e.g. advertisements, promotions or solicitations) are also prohibited and shall be removed from the cemetery. The adoption and enforcement of these regulations are necessary to secure uniformity, protect the interest and to preserve the beauty of the Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Cemeteries and the final resting place of those entrusted to our care.